Re: pgAdmin III: timestamp displayed in what time zone?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fred Janon <fjanon(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III: timestamp displayed in what time zone?
Date: 2009-12-15 04:29:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Fred Janon <fjanon(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks Greg, at least among the socially unacceptable insults I got the the
> right list to post my question in. I am trying to get some help from
> (supposedly) helping and knowledgeable people and I get insults in return.

I don't want to make what's obviously a bad situation for you worse,
but I think you might want to reconsider your position on this point.
I can't find anything in Greg's email that sounds to me like an
insult. I can see why you might think it's rude, but I have met Greg
and he is a very nice guy and I am pretty sure he's just trying to
help you understand your actions are likely to be interpreted.

I actually spend a lot of time, for which I don't get paid, trying to
make sure that questions posted to the mailing lists which I follow
get answered. I have to admit that, like Greg, I find it annoying
when people post a question that is off-topic for the list, or when
they cross-post the same question to many different lists. That might
not speak well of me, but it seems to me when someone cross-posts
something to multiple mailing lists, they're (a) sending it to many
people who are not interested in or knowledgeable about the topic of
the question and (b) implying that they are entitled to free support
from the community. Well, OK, we do try to provide good support, but
since it is something people do on a volunteer basis, they like to be
asked rather than told what they "have" to do. That probably wasn't
your intention, of course. I actually thought about trying to answer
your question myself, but then realized that as a non-pgadmin user I
had no chance of telling you anything useful. Had Greg not answered,
I probably would have looked up the correct mailing list for you
myself, but that's really about all I would be able to do since it's
outside my area of knowledge.

A few more resources you might want to look at:

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

> BTW, this list is listed as the list for tech questions in the pgAdmin tips,
> therefore if you don't want to be disturb, you might want to remove it from
> the pgAdmin tips.

If there is a tip there that pointed you here in error, we should
probably try to get that fixed, although I certainly have no ability
to change the pgadmin tips myself. I've never even used it, let alone
have access to change the source code. However, I don't think we get
more than one or two pgadmin questions here a year, so I suspect that
whatever the tip says includes some caveats about the circumstances
under which posting to pgsql-hackers is recommended. Feel free to
tell me if I'm wrong.

...Robert