Re: VACUUM FULL takes long time to complete

From: "Eric B(dot) Ridge" <ebr(at)tcdi(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM FULL takes long time to complete
Date: 2007-04-02 20:16:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mar 31, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Firstly, with autovacuum you really don't need to be running VACUUM
> FULL anyway. VACUUM FULL is actually quite inefficient, you're better
> off having higher FSM settings and leaving it to autovacuum.

Thank you (and Bill Moran) for the response. The reason we run
VACUUM FULL daily, I think, is just a hangover from the times when
Postgres didn't have autovacuum in core. And I think using FULL in
particular was from a desire to keep the database as trim as possible.

We'll flip our automated process off and see how things go. Maybe
implement a monthly CLUSTER and/or REINDEX on the largest tables to
help keep their sizes in check.

Thanks again!

eric