Re: VACUUM FULL takes long time to complete

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: "Eric B(dot) Ridge" <ebr(at)tcdi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM FULL takes long time to complete
Date: 2007-03-31 21:15:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 03:18:35PM -0400, Eric B. Ridge wrote:
> Anyways, we run a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE VERBOSE every night, and it's
> now taking 3+ hours to complete. We also have autovacuum turned on
> with default settings. This 3+ hour vacuum time is cutting into our
> production hours. :(

Firstly, with autovacuum you really don't need to be running VACUUM
FULL anyway. VACUUM FULL is actually quite inefficient, you're better
off having higher FSM settings and leaving it to autovacuum.

For more info, post the actual output of VACUUM VERBOSE. That displays
enough info to get to the cause.

Have a nice day,