Re: [patch] extensions_path GUC

From: Oskari Saarenmaa <os(at)ohmu(dot)fi>
To: Sandro Santilli <strk(at)keybit(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] extensions_path GUC
Date: 2015-10-23 10:48:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

23.10.2015, 13:33, Sandro Santilli kirjoitti:
> One problem we have with PostGIS is you cannot test an extension
> unless you have access to the system extension dir.
>
> The following patch tries to address that by allowing to specify
> a per-cluster extension path via an "extensions_path" GUC.
>
> It is more a request-for-comments rather than a ready patch, as
> I hadn't considered all use cases like upgrades of already-loaded
> extensions and the possibility ot have a list of directories to
> seek for extensions.
>
> Anyway, patch is attached.

This would be very useful. I proposed this previously in February, but
that implementation (almost identical to yours) was rejected.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/5/170/
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54E3C31F.8010703@ohmu.fi

Both of these implementations miss a way to override the path for
extension .so files.

/ Oskari