Re: [patch] extensions_path GUC

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] extensions_path GUC
Date: 2015-10-23 10:46:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/23/2015 01:33 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> One problem we have with PostGIS is you cannot test an extension
> unless you have access to the system extension dir.
>
> The following patch tries to address that by allowing to specify
> a per-cluster extension path via an "extensions_path" GUC.
>
> It is more a request-for-comments rather than a ready patch, as
> I hadn't considered all use cases like upgrades of already-loaded
> extensions and the possibility ot have a list of directories to
> seek for extensions.

This was discussed a while ago already, see
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/51AE0845.8010600@ocharles.org.uk.

In short, I don't think just setting extensions_path is enough or
desirable, but I would welcome a patch that makes "make check" work for
extensions, by creating a temporary installation.

- Heikki