Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful
Date: 2015-04-23 20:42:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/23/15 4:30 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-04-23 16:26:09 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> But pg_upgrade automates all that, so you can't use pg_upgrade in that
>> case. If we add a GUC as I suggested, you can still use pg_upgrade.
>
> But we also have to live with data directories being in a shit state
> forever onward. We won't really be able to remove the option
> realistically.
>
> It's not that hard to just move the tablespace out of the data directory
> while the server. As long as you move it on the same partition, it's
> even fast.

I agree. It wouldn't be that hard to do a bit of directory manipulation
before upgrading - and that's only for the people who have put
tablespaces in $PGDATA. I've never seen it before, but I have no doubt
that it happens. I can see how it might make a weird sort of sense
depending on the level of experience.

--
- David Steele
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net