Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tablespaces inside $PGDATA considered harmful
Date: 2015-04-23 20:30:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-04-23 16:26:09 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> But pg_upgrade automates all that, so you can't use pg_upgrade in that
> case. If we add a GUC as I suggested, you can still use pg_upgrade.

But we also have to live with data directories being in a shit state
forever onward. We won't really be able to remove the option
realistically.

It's not that hard to just move the tablespace out of the data directory
while the server. As long as you move it on the same partition, it's
even fast.

Greetings,

Andres Freund