Re: [BUG] Archive recovery failure on 9.3+.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Archive recovery failure on 9.3+.
Date: 2014-01-09 20:43:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/09/2014 10:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
>> On 01/09/2014 10:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Don't we want to archive both? If you want to recover to the end of the
>>> old timeline, you're going to need that file too, no?
>
>> Hmm. It should be the responsibility of the original server to archive
>> the segment on the old timeline.
>
> Oh ... I was thinking about the case of a timeline switch within one
> server, say as a result of PITR recovery. If you're sure this same case
> doesn't come up that way, then nevermind.

I'm not sure what you mean, but it does apply to same-server PITR
recovery too. In that case, again, if you copy the partial segment to
pg_xlog when doing the PITR recovery, clearly you already somehow have
access to the partial segment, and if you want to do another PITR to the
same point, you should just copy it again.

- Heikki