Re: Postgredb issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Thusitha Maheepala <thusitha(at)onsys(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgredb issue
Date: 2020-05-09 15:49:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> It appears all errors are related to the c_acctprocessorlog_pkey index? Run
> the below to ditch the current index and rebuild with data from the table
> files.
> REINDEX INDEX c_acctprocessorlog_pkey;

That appears to have been the original problem, but at the end of the
log we see that the database is refusing to start, which suggests some
other filesystem corruption has manifested. I'm suspecting some
combination of unreliable storage, ancient/buggy Postgres version etc.

It's troubling that the "last completed transaction" log messages suggest
that no checkpoint has completed since last July ... has the OP somehow
turned off checkpoints? Ordinarily the only thing that could prevent
checkpoint completion is I/O errors, but there's no trace of such in the
log. I wonder how much WAL has accumulated in the pg_wal/pg_xlog area.

It's possible that a professional data recovery service could help you
get something out of this mess. If the data is worth money to you,
see [1] for some places to try. Otherwise, chalk it up to experience
and start over.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/