Re: table dump function

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Little, Douglas" <DOUGLAS(dot)LITTLE(at)orbitz(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General (pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: table dump function
Date: 2013-03-07 18:18:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 03/07/2013 08:42 AM, Little, Douglas wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion Adrian,
>
> Unfortunately, my process is executing from psql, so to start pg_dump from within psql is a bit challenging.
> We have 1 instance where we start an OS process from a function, but it's new territory for us.

Yeah, my suggestion was offered in the spirit of not reinventing the
wheel:) When you say you are running from inside psql, do you mean
interactively or from script? As Rob mentioned from psql you can get to
the shell by doing \!.

> My function is dumping everything but the ACL grant list. I currently have a function that will build and execute the grants from the acl list,
> so it's just a simple exercise to get it to dump the statements.
>
> I was just hoping that there were standard functions for doing this.

Not that I know of. If you feel adventurous you could look at
dumpTableSchema in pg_dump.c in the source to see how pg_dump does it.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com