Re: Trust intermediate CA for client certificates

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)vt(dot)edu>
To: Ian Pilcher <arequipeno(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trust intermediate CA for client certificates
Date: 2013-03-07 18:42:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mar 7, 2013, at 9:37 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:

> On 03/07/2013 08:28 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why you'd expect a
>> different result. That leaves you with no way to validate the server's
>> own certificate.
>
> I don't follow. Why would the server need to validate it's own
> certificate?

What Tom said works for me. Here is a page that gives an example and I think it demonstrates that the root CA does not allow everybody in the gate, the chain has to be in place:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1456034/trouble-understanding-ssl-certificate-chain-verification
You can use the "openssl verify" command to test that the root is not wide open on it's own.