We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date: 2013-02-13 23:05:02
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian pgsql-www

Folks,

I was just setting up a new PostgreSQL ubuntu server, and was kind of
stunned by the unnecessary complexity of the install instructions at
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/. Also, they don't work.

If we're going to move our users to apt.postgresql.org, we really need
to provide a PPA for easy install. Until we do that, we shouldn't
deprecate Martin's backports, which are easy to install and well-maintained.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.