Re: PL/pgSQL: EXCEPTION NOSAVEPOINT

From: "Matthew Miller" <mattm(at)epx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL: EXCEPTION NOSAVEPOINT
Date: 2005-09-02 01:58:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In general I don't think it even makes sense to think of making
> executor rollback non-transactional.

Agreed.

I would not want to rollback some statements and not others within a
transaction. I would like a complete rollback to happen, but only when
the exception propogates out of the exception block unhandled, not when
the exception is first thrown. Maybe if I could get into the TRY
section of the PG_CATCH()/PG_TRY() construct without an intervening
elog(ERROR) then I'd have a chance ...

> Seems like your choices are
> implementing a separate expression evaluator
> make the restriction "read-only database access"

Thanks for all these ideas. I'm just getting to know the PG code tree,
and I appreciate the guidance.