Re: Removing postgres -f command line option

From: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing postgres -f command line option
Date: 2011-11-17 15:11:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki,

On 17.11.2011 10:19, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> $ postgres --help
> Developer options:
> -f s|i|n|m|h forbid use of some plan types
>
> That doesn't include all the options we support, the documentation
> lists: s|i|o|b|t|n|m|h. These are aliases for enable_* planner
> options, e.g -fs is equal to enable_seqscan=off.
>
> That seems completely useless to me, because you can also do "-c
> enable_seqscan=off". Any objections to removing the -f option altogether?

I knew about it. But - I never needed it and I always scroll over it
when I show --help in my trainings.

When I was young - some when in last century - I learned that you never
should remove a feature without pre-announcing it as deprecated.

I think it is better to mark it deprecated in 9.2 and totally remove it
in 9.3.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant