Removing postgres -f command line option

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Removing postgres -f command line option
Date: 2011-11-17 09:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While looking at Shigeru Hanada's foreign join pushdown patch, I noticed
a command line option that I didn't know to exist:

$ postgres --help
Developer options:
-f s|i|n|m|h forbid use of some plan types

That doesn't include all the options we support, the documentation
lists: s|i|o|b|t|n|m|h. These are aliases for enable_* planner options,
e.g -fs is equal to enable_seqscan=off.

That seems completely useless to me, because you can also do "-c
enable_seqscan=off". Any objections to removing the -f option altogether?

--
Heikki Linnakangas