Re: Why polecat and colugos are failing to build back branches

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, robert(at)logicalchaos(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why polecat and colugos are failing to build back branches
Date: 2011-06-14 22:01:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/14/2011 05:45 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>> On 06/13/2011 08:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I looked into $SUBJECT. There appear to be two distinct issues:
>> I think we can be a bit more liberal about build patches than things
>> that can affect the runtime behaviour.
>> So +1 for fixing both of these.
> I've committed patches that fix these issues on my own OS X machine,
> though it remains to be seen whether polecat and colugos will like
> them. It turns out that whatever setup Robert has got with
> '/Volumes/High Usage/' is really *not* fully exercising the system
> as far as space-containing paths go, because I found bugs in all
> active branches when I tried to do builds and installs underneath
> '/Users/tgl/foo bar/'. Is it worth setting up a buildfarm critter
> to exercise the case on a long-term basis? If we don't, I think
> we can expect that it'll break regularly.
>
> (I wouldn't care to bet that the MSVC case works yet, either.)

Well, OSX is just using our usual *nix paraphernalia, so if it's broken
won't all such platforms probably be broken too? I'd actually bet a
modest amount MSVC is less broken because it uses perl modules like
File::Copy to do most of its work and so will be less prone to shell
parsing breakage.

But yes, we should check regularly.

cheers

andrew