Re: Shared Buffer Size

From: Toby Corkindale <toby(dot)corkindale(at)strategicdata(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared Buffer Size
Date: 2011-05-31 03:20:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On 30/05/11 20:41, Cédric Villemain wrote:
> 2011/5/30 Toby Corkindale<toby(dot)corkindale(at)strategicdata(dot)com(dot)au>:
>> On 28/05/11 18:42, Carl von Clausewitz wrote:
>>>
>>> a few months ago, when I installed my first PostgreSQL, I have had the
>>> same problem. I've try to get any information about optimal memory
>>> config, and working, but there wasn't any "optimal memory setting
>>> calculator" on the internet, just some guide in the posgre documentation
>>>
>>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC).
>>> I got FreeBSD 8.2 AMD64, with 8 GB of memory (this server is just for
>>> PostgreSQL and a little PHP app with 2 user), and I have theese setting
>>> in postgresql.conf (which are not the default):
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> work_mem = 64MB# min 64kB
>>> maintenance_work_mem = 1024MB# min 1MB
>>> max_stack_depth = 64MB# min 100kB
>>
>> Just a warning - but be careful about setting work_mem to high values.
>> The actual memory used by a query can be many times the value, depending on
>> the complexity of your query.
>>
>> In a particular query I saw last week, we were regularly exceeding the
>> available memory on a server, because the query was requiring 80 times the
>> value of work_mem, and work_mem had been set to a high value.
>>
>> Reducing work_mem back to just 4MB reduced memory usage by a couple of
>> gigabytes, and had almost no effect on the execution time. (Actually, it was
>> marginally faster - probably because more memory was left for the operating
>> system's cache)
>
> Maybe, you're also aware that linux may decide to swap to protect its
> buffer cache (depend of the strategy it got in its configuration) and
> also that you may be limited by commitable memory. On a default
> install where the swap is NOT at least twice the RAM size, you're not
> able to commit all RAM you have. But, it protects the buffer cache for
> the not allocatable memory.
>
> So maybe you've hitten a step where you did swap your work_mem...
> anyway interesting to have a query where a large work_mem is not
> better... Will it be hard to isolate the case and make it public ? In
> the long term it might be a good test to add to a performance farm if
> it is not based on a non-optimum linux configuration (I mean if the
> issue *need* the work_mem to be reduced to be fixed).

In this case, it was not just slowing down due to the amount of work_mem
allocated -- it was exceeding several gigabytes of memory usage and
crashing out. Lower values of work_mem allowed the query to succeed, but
it used almost 3G.. Even lower values of work_mem could do the query in
only a few hundred MB - and was faster.

I note that if you exceed work_mem in a query,then I guess the temp
files created are cached by the VM cache, so it's not like the
performance hit will be *too* bad?

I agree that the slowness of the 3GB version could be due to swapping or
something like that.. or just due to the VM cache being eliminated as I
suggested.

Either way - the problem was that this (machine-generated) query was
pivoting and joining many views-of-views. It's a pretty nasty query.

The key fact is that postgres (8.3) seems to allocate the full work_mem
amount every time it needs *some* work_mem - even if it could have
happily got by on just a few MB. So if your query allocates work_mem a
hundred times, it'll consume $work_mem * 100 -- or die trying.

I'm curious to know if Postgres 9.0 has improved this -- I'm going to
try re-running this query on it once I get a chance, but due to
contractual agreements this isn't quite as simple to test as you might
think.
(And running the test over a much smaller example data set might not
trigger the same query plan)
I'll get there eventually though :)