Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-25 09:21:33
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave,

On 05/25/2011 10:49 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> For a start, because GForge doesn't let you put arbitrary links on the
> project pages

Hm.. okay, that's unfortunate. Is the customized GForge code that we
use available somewhere?

> There are hundreds of projects (the majority probably dead) on
> pgFoundry. *we* simply do not have the resources to ensure they all
> point to whereever the the projects may move to and ensure all the
> data on the site is accurate.

I didn't mean the to tell the Postgres www team to do that. However, I
do think that these projects deserve something better than a 404 after
half a year.

Keep in mind that project leaders were asked to move from Gborg to
pgFoundry just four years ago.

> Besides, leaving the site up there doesn't actually solve the issue
> that there are probably a ton of security issues in its code, that
> would likely still be there even if we did disable all logins.

The proposal was to put up a static copy. That hardly has any security
issues, I think.

Regards

Markus Wanner