Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission
Date: 2010-07-12 23:31:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Is there a specific period when that's supposed to happen for GSoC
> students? Can we arrange for a commitfest to be running then

The GSoC "Community bonding period" is described at
http://googlesummerofcode.blogspot.com/2007/04/so-what-is-this-community-bonding-all.html
and what to cover is a near perfect match for things like introducing
the patch review and submission process. This year, the period from
when proposals were accepted on April 26th through the official coding
start on May 24th were labeled as being devoted to that. Given the way
the release schedule has worked out the last few years, I expect that
every year there will be a whole stack of possibly moldy patches sitting
in the queue for the first CF of the next version at that point. I
don't think we necessarily need to organize a full on CF around that
schedule, but picking a small patch for each student to start chewing on
during that period would usefully settle them into list interaction and
community development process much more gradually than starting that
with their code drops.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us