Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, DavidFetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: gSoC - ADD MERGE COMMAND - code patch submission
Date: 2010-07-12 23:15:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 12, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I feel the assumption that code is so valuable that it should be shared regardless of whether it meets conventions is a flawed one for this project. There are already dozens, if not hundreds, of useful patch submissions that have been sent to this list, consumed time, and then gone nowhere because they didn't happen in a way that the community was able to integrate them properly.

True - but we don't want to unduly discourage potential contributors or make them afraid of posting, either. It is for the community to decide whether the effort to clean up a patch is worthwhile, and to provide guidance on what must change. Individual contributors shouldn't seek to take that process off-list, at least IMHO.

The main problem with this patch is not that it was submitted as a RAR of multiple diffs against 8.4.3 instead of a single diff against HEAD: it's that we've apparently reached GSoC midterms without making progress beyond what Peter hacked together whilst sitting in an airport.

...Robert