Re: [NOVICE] Specific database vars, again...

From: Rene Schickbauer <rene(dot)schickbauer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Glus Xof <gtglus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Specific database vars, again...
Date: 2010-04-21 08:14:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Glus Xof wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Maybe, I didn't explain my question enough.
>
> I need to record properties that belongs to an specific database (and
> so, they work at database level... not at global scope:
>
> * Could I use the \set statements ? but... the vars defined are not in
> a database scope but a global, aren't they ?... furthermore, could
> save these vars when try to dump the database ??? )
>
> * Or, must to create an specific one-row table ?.

The first things to ask is: Do multiple transactions change this data?
What is something goes wrong - do you need rollback to work?

Anyway, a table with one or only a few rows is very likely to be cached
in RAM by postgres anyway if you access it regulary. So performance
shouldn't be an issue.

LG
Rene