Re: warn in plperl logs as... NOTICE??

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: warn in plperl logs as... NOTICE??
Date: 2010-01-22 00:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Jim Nasby wrote:
>>
>>> Why does warn; in plperl log as NOTICE in Postgres?
>>>

>> Where would you like the warning to go? This has been this way for
>> nearly 5 years, it's not new (and before that the warning didn't go
>> anywhere).
>>

> I think he's suggesting that it ought to translate as elog(WARNING)
> not elog(NOTICE).

*shrug* I don't have a strong opinion about it, and it's pretty easy to
change, if there's a consensus we should. I have certainly found over
the years that perl warnings from some modules can be annoyingly
verbose, which is probably why the original patch didn't make them have
a higher level in Postgres. If this were a big issue we'd have surely
heard about it before now - there are plenty of plperl users out there.

cheers

andrew