Re: Connection.setReadOnly()

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection.setReadOnly()
Date: 2009-12-11 01:26:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

John R Pierce wrote:
> we have a fairly large database thats fed a
> constant stream of realtime data 24/7 from a factory doing both inserts
> and updates... many different sorts of things have to query this
> database, including mechanical/electrical engineering types doing adhoc
> queries for oddball reports and such who are not SQL experts. its way
> to easy for them to accidentally create a transaction that they never
> end, causing multiday blockage of VACUUM, massive table bloat, etc.

Presumably they could also run a query that accidentally consumes all
the CPU and I/O bandwidth on your server (hello missing WHERE clause!)

It sounds like what you need is an intermediate layer that enforces
transaction and query timeouts, rather than giving your mech/eng types
direct access to the DB.

-O