Re: Connection.setReadOnly()

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection.setReadOnly()
Date: 2009-12-11 00:19:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> Just because your connection is readonly doesn't mean that everyone
> elses is as well. If you want a consistent view of the database you
> can get that with a serializable transaction.

my oracle developers are screaming bloody murder over this.

they have processes that do nothing but reads. jdbc tosses a BEGIN;
out automatically. these processes never Commit(); on a read, why
should they? so.... we have a fairly large database thats fed a
constant stream of realtime data 24/7 from a factory doing both inserts
and updates... many different sorts of things have to query this
database, including mechanical/electrical engineering types doing adhoc
queries for oddball reports and such who are not SQL experts. its way
to easy for them to accidentally create a transaction that they never
end, causing multiday blockage of VACUUM, massive table bloat, etc.

per all my Oracle people this is totally unacceptable and they are ready
to cancel any further postgres projects.