Re: backup and restore

From: Gerardo Herzig <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar>
To: Jyoti Seth <jyotiseth2001(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup and restore
Date: 2009-05-08 11:44:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jyoti Seth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two databases db1 and db2 with the same database structure on
> different systems with no network connection. In the first system with the
> db1 database user updates the master data. At the end of every day, the user
> needs to take the backup of updated data of master tables on db1 and update
> the data on another system with db2 database.
>
> We can't use WAL as in this as we want to take incremental backup of few
> tables only and can't use slony as there is no network connection between
> the systems.
>
> Please suggest some solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Jyoti

I guess you are triyng to avoid the 'pg_dump - save_to_floppy -
walk_to_db2_place - pg_restore' pattern. Well, can you save `pg_dump' in
some middle place? One place which machine1 and machine2 have access to?
If so, you can kind of automate the job using two programs, one (in the
master) who 'upload' (via ftp maybe, scp or whatever) in this middle
place, ando other in the slave who 'download' and process the file using
pg_restore.

HTH
Gerardo