Re: Server Performance

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Chris(dot)Ellis(at)shropshire(dot)gov(dot)uk
Cc: scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Performance
Date: 2009-04-01 05:53:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris(dot)Ellis(at)shropshire(dot)gov(dot)uk wrote:

> Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote on 31/03/2009 15:53:34:

> > > My sentiments exactly, unfortunately, I seem stuck with them :(
> >
> > Can you at least source your own RAID controllers?
>
> Yes I will be, I never really did trust IBM and I certainly don't now!
>
> I just need to choose the correct RAID card now, good performance at the
> right price.

you are jumping to conclusions too quickly - while the 8k is not the
worlds fastest raid card available it is really not (that) bad at all.
we have plenty of x3650 in production and last time I tested I was
easily able to get >>2000tps even on an untuned postgresql install and
with fwer disks.

So I really think you are looking at another problem here (be it
defective hardware or a driver/OS level issue).

is your SLES10 install updated to the latest patch levels available and
are you running the recommended driver version for that version of SLES?

Stefan