Re: libpq WSACleanup is not needed

From: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq WSACleanup is not needed
Date: 2009-01-18 23:58:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> The use-case of rapidly creating and dropping connections isn't
> particularly common, I think. And there is a perfectly functioning
> workaround - something that we should perhaps document in the FAQ or
> somewhere in the documentation?

Would it be accetable to do initialise if the number of connections is
changing from 0, and
tidy if the cumber goes back to 0? Applications that retain a
connection would not
suffer the cost on subsequent connect/disconnect.

The init/term is the tidiest way to do it, but the above might help -
perhaps init could just
add a phantom usecount and work the same way.

If you have a DLL for libpq, could you do it in process attach and
detach? Wouldn't
that be the most common case anyway?

James