Re: Plugin system like Firefox

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plugin system like Firefox
Date: 2008-08-12 20:08:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> .. an OS-agnostic way of installing packages.

Uh.. I don't think such a thing exists.

> I realize many prefer their OS-native packaging system, but
> that isn't the target audience of a packaging system that will increase
> adoption.

I'm just arguing that such a packaging system should not get in the way
of a pre-existing packaging system (whether it is OS-native or not,
whether it is an open and well known format or a proprietary
SomethingSuperPerfect(tm) Packaging System for Windows).

Regards

Markus Wanner