Re: Transaction-controlled robustness for replication

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Jens-Wolfhard Schicke <drahflow(at)gmx(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction-controlled robustness for replication
Date: 2008-08-12 20:04:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 11:52 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> What is the attraction of logical application of the WAL logs?
> >> Transmitting to a server with different architecture?
>
> > Yes,
>
> > * different release
> > * different encoding
> > * different CPU architecture
> > * (with the correct transform) a different DBMS
>
> The notion that the WAL logs will ever be portable across such
> differences is so ... so ... well, it's barely worth laughing at.

I expect to begin discussion of how that might be achieved in a few
days. I understand the starting place for your thinking, but am not
deterred because I see some solutions. I feel certain you will point out
some difficulties, but I think it is worth doing. Please lets start
those discussions from a neutral point. If you find a real showstopper,
then so be it. Sorry for the delay.

Bruce was asking about why I might want that. If we can at least agree
there is a use case then it helps.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com