Re: Integer datetimes

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Integer datetimes
Date: 2008-03-21 09:36:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane napsal(a):
>> Neil Conway wrote:
>>> Sure -- I sent in a patch earlier, but I'll post an updated version
>>> shortly.
>
>> Hmm, I mean just switching the default value in configure.in ... is
>> there anything else that needs doing at this point?
>
> Well, that's hardly a one-liner. If nothing else there are probably
> multiple places in the documentation that need adjustment.

Does we keep same OID for this type? I prefer to redefine it as new type. It
helps to determine which type is it for upgrade purpose. I think best solution
is to have both code floating/int active and configure or initdb only perform
correct linking in BKI file to preferred variant.

The result will be two datatypes datetime and timestamp_int or timestamp_float.
Or maybe better is to have two datatypes timestamp_int timestamp_float and one
domain timestamp which points to preferred type.

Zdenek