Re: Sun Studio on Linux spinlock patch

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Julius Stroffek <Julius(dot)Stroffek(at)Sun(dot)COM>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun Studio on Linux spinlock patch
Date: 2008-03-06 07:46:52
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane napsal(a):

> But I guess the *real* question is why anyone would care ... what
> benefit is there to using Sun's compiler on Linux?

There are severals benefits:

1) Sun Studio is not only compiler. It has a lot of tools like
performance analyzer/profiler, memory checker ... There are group of
people who prefers these tools.

2) Compiler generates faster code on SPARC than GCC. If somebody uses
Linux on SPARC it helps him a lot. Code is faster on x86 as well, but it
is not so significant.

See http://blogs.sun.com/tatkar/resource/SunStudio.pdf
Pages 12-13

Zdenek