Re: General Q's

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: david(dot)brown(at)eclipseconsult(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: General Q's
Date: 2007-12-12 17:11:25
Lists: pgsql-general

David wrote:
> Both Joomla / Drupal are making their databases work with Postgsql using an
> abstraction layer.

Nothing wrong with that.

> Questions - re MySQL/ Postgresql/Joomla/Drupel
>
> Could you advise on the following?
>
> * Is there a project to create MySQL compatibility for Postgresql? I
> am not technical so you will need to explain as if I am a 3-year old!

No. Unlikely to be too - you'd need to have bug-for-bug compatibility to
make it worthwhile. At which point you might as well use MySQL.

> * What other Open Source solutions which support the similar type of
> functionality found on Joomla and Drupal work with Postgresql?

If you're not particularly skilled in either MySQL or PostgreSQL then
I'd pick the application first and use whatever database it works best on.

You might find the following useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content_management_systems
http://www.opensourcecms.com/

For a local community site I'm working with I chose cmsmadesimple, but
both Joomla and Drupal have a lot of users.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd