Re: Possible PostgreSQL 8.3beta4 bug with MD5 authentication in psql?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)ilande(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible PostgreSQL 8.3beta4 bug with MD5 authentication in psql?
Date: 2007-12-07 15:38:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Hmmmm. So even though PGPASSWORD is set (and the command works if the
> database exists within the cluster), if I specify a non-existent
> database then I still get prompted for a password.

Just to add a note to that - when running it in the same shell from
which I started the server with messages going to stdout, it seemed
clear that it trys to connect once using PGPASSWORD, then when that
fails, it prompts for the password instead, and then tries to connect
with that and fails a second time.

/D