Re: systems 2007 ...

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Robert Gravsjö <robert(at)blogg(dot)se>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: systems 2007 ...
Date: 2007-11-01 17:24:43
Lists: pgeu-general

Hi,

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
>
>> On Oct 29, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Robert Gravsjö wrote:
>>
>> The MySQL vs PostgreSQL question annoys me a lot. I don't know MySQL
>> enough to answer this kind of question.

Not only you :)
But making a flyer is very difficult, because you really get sure, that
there is nothing inside, where MySQL could say, PostgreSQL is bashing
them. I often talked with the BSD guys because they have a flyer BSD
versus Linux. They told me, that was a really difficult work, to make
this flyer because of not bashing Linux or making sentences, where Linux
could say: "that's against us".

One of the main open source thoughts is, that there are several products
where the user can decide on his own, what he/she will prefer or which
system is better for his/her software.

I always tried to switch topic, when I got a MySQL vs. PostgreSQL
question at a PostgreSQL booth.

Or I told the visitor: that are two pairs of shoes, you can't compare
them. Both have adavantages and disadvantages, it's always a question,
what you want to do. The only thing, what I told them else is; that
PostgreSQL is under BSD license and MySQL under GPL.
But after that, I always canceled that discussion by switching topic.
For example you can tell the user after that, what nice feature
PostgreSQL is supporting or something else.

Best Regards,

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht