Re: tsearch filenames unlikes special symbols and numbers

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch filenames unlikes special symbols and numbers
Date: 2007-09-03 14:54:28
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Also, ____ says that Windows throws an error for ":" in the filename,
> which means we needn't.

Windows doesn't fail - but it can do odd things. For example, try:

C:\> echo hi >foo:bar

If one then checks the directory, one finds a "foo".

Depending on *which* API one uses, the rules may change around a bit -
but whatever the situation, as long as you prefix it with a valid path,
the ":" is not going to cause you problems.

> It might still be a good idea to restrict the names to be SQL
> identifiers (ie, alphanumerics and underscores) for future-proofing,
> but it wasn't clear whether anyone but me thought that was a good
> argument. I'm willing to make it just be no-dir-separators.

I think it is a good argument.

Cheers,
mark

--