RE: AW: partial index

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: AW: partial index
Date: 2001-08-06 15:05:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > test=# create index myindex on accounts(aid) where bid <> 0;
>
> > Hmm ? Am I reading correctly ? a restriction that is on a field,
that
> > is not in the index ? Does that make sense ?
>
> Yes it does, and in fact it's one of the more important applications
of
> partial indexes. It's the only way that a partial index can be
cheaper
> to scan than a full index.

Ok, yes, sounds great, but then back to Tatsuo's question:
Why is the index atestpartial not used (instead DEBUG) ?

create table atest (aid int, bid int);
create index atestpartial on atest (aid) where bid <> 0;
select * from atest where aid=1 and bid <> 0;

and instead seq scan for 1 mio rows 2 rows where bid <> 0

Since bid is not in an index the evaluation of usability obviously
should not be based on index ops ?

Andreas