Re: Restore - works on one server, not on other

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: CaptainBalrog <captain(dot)balrog(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restore - works on one server, not on other
Date: 2007-07-14 21:20:21
Lists: pgadmin-support

CaptainBalrog a écrit :
> [...]
> So i got a web host, IX their called, that supports pgsql but when i looked
> at the database tools on their control panel it was a php interface with no
> backup or restore options just your basic tables, sequences, functions.
> So i connected to the IX database through pgAdmin 3 and tried a restore. It
> restored the tables but no functions or sequences.
>
> With the functions the restore did not like the use of $$. That i can fix by
> using ordinary quotes but i would still like to know why it doesnt work in
> its current form.

Dollar quoting is a feature added in 8.0 release. Perhaps you are using
an older PostgreSQL release.

> [...]
> When i follow the same procedure on the IX server their is no refrence to
> the sequence in the create table sql but if i look at the column details it
> shows amongst other things:
> ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN id SET DEFAULT
> nextval('public.test_id_seq'::text);
>
> The differences here are the 'public' before the sequence name and the
> 'text' instead of 'regclass'.

Schemas appear in 7.3 release. Don't tell me you're trying to restore to
a server older than 7.3 :)

> I am a database developer by trade but i am new to the whole admin side of
> things, including the web hosting stuff so if anyone can help me understand
> the above issues it would be much appreciated.
>
> Sorry about the long rambling post :0)

My guess is that your web host has a really old PostgreSQL release. Can
you tell us which release it is ?

Regards.

--
Guillaume.