Restore - works on one server, not on other

From: CaptainBalrog <captain(dot)balrog(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restore - works on one server, not on other
Date: 2007-07-14 14:16:42
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi there.
I only started using pgsql recently. I built a database to use as part of a
website.
I played with backup/restore to make sure i would be able to transfer my
database to the live server and
was able to make a backup file and restore it under a new database name.
The only error i got was to do with a procedural language but it everything
was restored as it was on the
original version.

So i got a web host, IX their called, that supports pgsql but when i looked
at the database tools on their control panel it was a php interface with no
backup or restore options just your basic tables, sequences, functions.
So i connected to the IX database through pgAdmin 3 and tried a restore. It
restored the tables but no functions or sequences.

With the functions the restore did not like the use of $$. That i can fix by
using ordinary quotes but i would still like to know why it doesnt work in
its current form.

I couldn't figure out why it didnt like the sequences.

So i started to create a test table on the IX server and found that the sql
for the table looks different than when i create it on my local server.
I think this is where the problem with the sequences lies. If i create an id
field on my local table and use the big serial data type it creates a
sequence which appears in the sql as follows:

CREATE TABLE test
(
id bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('"test_id_seq"'::regclass)
)

When i follow the same procedure on the IX server their is no refrence to
the sequence in the create table sql but if i look at the column details it
shows amongst other things:
ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN id SET DEFAULT
nextval('public.test_id_seq'::text);

The differences here are the 'public' before the sequence name and the
'text' instead of 'regclass'.

I am a database developer by trade but i am new to the whole admin side of
things, including the web hosting stuff so if anyone can help me understand
the above issues it would be much appreciated.

Sorry about the long rambling post :0)