Continuous PITR (was Re: multimaster)

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Continuous PITR (was Re: multimaster)
Date: 2007-06-01 20:58:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/01/07 11:16, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
[snip]

> My real question in all this is, "What is the problem you are trying
> to solve?" Hot failover using combinations of hardware and software,
> and a disk array that can be mounted across two machines, is actually
> probably good enough for most cases, assuming it is implemented
> correctly (see recent discussion on this topic). So the availability
> piece is mostly solved. What else do you want?

What you need are disk blocks to be mirrored to a machine at the DR
site. Or "continuous PITR" to the DR machine.

How difficult would it be to modify the process (the postmaster?)
that writes the xlogs(?) to tee them to a listening process across
the cloud on the DR machine, which then applies them to the DR database?

This then begs the question: are CREATE|ALTER TABLESPACE commands
stored in the xlogs?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA