Re: [Fwd: Re: Autovacuum keeps vacuuming a table disabled in pg_autovacuum]

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Ron St-Pierre <ron(dot)pgsql(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Autovacuum keeps vacuuming a table disabled in pg_autovacuum]
Date: 2007-06-01 20:50:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> I stopped using autovacuum months ago because of similar problems
> (version 8.1.4). Because we do some major inserts and updates about four
> times a day, there were a few tables that I didn't want autovacuumed.
> Even after I turned autovacuum off for these tables it still tried to
> vacuum them while the updates were running. Instead, I just created cron
> jobs to vacuum the two tables with the most updates daily, and the one
> with the most inserts weekly. Performance has been pretty good.

FYI, in 8.2 and up the Xid wraparound problem is considered on a table
by table basis, which means that only the tables that have not been
vacuumed recently need to be vacuumed. The need for database wide
vacuuming is gone.

> Time to start VACUUM FULL ANALYZE over the weekend.

For Xid wraparound you don't need FULL anyway, in any release.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.