Re: DBLink problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Oleg Lebedev" <oleg(dot)lebedev(at)waterford(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBLink problems
Date: 2002-09-27 17:10:49
Lists: pgsql-general

"Oleg Lebedev" <oleg(dot)lebedev(at)waterford(dot)org> writes:
> 3. How stable is v7.3b and should I just move to it without trying to
> port my procedures to v7.2.1?

So far we've not seen reports that suggest any stability problems with
7.3 beta. What you are mainly risking if you move to a beta is having
to dump/initdb/reload (again) to go to 7.3 final. I do not think there
will be any forced initdb's between 7.3beta3 and final, but it can't be
ruled out.

7.3beta3, due out pretty soon, will contain fixes for two nasty problems
that have plagued all 7.2.* releases ("can't wait without a PROC" and at
least some forms of the missing-pg_clog-file problem). So a pretty good
case could be made that it will likely be *more* stable than any 7.2
release. Any remaining bugs are likely to be in new features that
weren't in 7.2.

> 4. Can I configure v7.3b to be able to use the same database as v7.2.1?

Nope. You must dump and reload.