Re: Not ready for 8.3

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not ready for 8.3
Date: 2007-05-16 15:34:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> How much visibility do we have into the mhonarc database? We should be
> able to come up with a simple redirector that would point the old
> mhonarc URLs to URLs for the new system...

<cough>database?</cough>

It's a file system. It simply generates HTML (or in our case) PHP files
from each message in an mbox. That's one of the reasons for the monthly
break - without it, the directories would be unusably full of files.

I the current URLs represent the month, and the ID of the message as it
comes out of the mbox I believe. We could probably write a script to
dump a list of message IDs, directories and mbox positions I imagine,
and then import that into a new database.

It's been on my list to rewrite the whole archive system for a while for
various reasons. There is quite a bit of crossover with the patch
tracker I proposed so I was hoping to look at both together.

Regards, Dave