Re: Not ready for 8.3

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not ready for 8.3
Date: 2007-05-16 15:44:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 04:34:56PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> >How much visibility do we have into the mhonarc database? We should be
> >able to come up with a simple redirector that would point the old
> >mhonarc URLs to URLs for the new system...
>
> <cough>database?</cough>

And here I thought the reason we used tho POS was because it was the
only archiver that used PostgreSQL as it's backend...

> It's a file system. It simply generates HTML (or in our case) PHP files
> from each message in an mbox. That's one of the reasons for the monthly
> break - without it, the directories would be unusably full of files.
>
> I the current URLs represent the month, and the ID of the message as it
> comes out of the mbox I believe. We could probably write a script to
> dump a list of message IDs, directories and mbox positions I imagine,
> and then import that into a new database.

Yeah, if the files still resemble real emails then we can probably come
up with a way to pull the data in.

> It's been on my list to rewrite the whole archive system for a while for
> various reasons. There is quite a bit of crossover with the patch
> tracker I proposed so I was hoping to look at both together.

Let me know when you start on that...
--
Jim Nasby decibel(at)decibel(dot)org