Re: Concurrently updating an updatable view

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrently updating an updatable view
Date: 2007-05-14 10:08:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> The problem is that the new tuple version is checked only against the
> condition in the update rule, id=OLD.id, but not the condition in the
> original update-claus, dt='a'.
>
> Yeah, that's confusing :(.

Bit more than just normal rule confusion I'd say. Try the following two
statements in parallel (assuming you've just run the previous):

UPDATE test SET dt='c';
UPDATE test SET dt='x' FROM test t2 WHERE test.id=t2.id AND t2.dt='b';

This isn't a problem with the view mechanism - it's a problem with
re-checking clauses involving subqueries or joins I'd guess.

I'm trying to decide if it's unexpected or just plain wrong, and I think
I'd have to argue wrong.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd