Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32
Date: 2007-02-01 18:25:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Tony Caduto wrote:
> Never mind,
> somehow a application setup a pgpass.conf file for me
> without my knowledge.

Have you been leaving the dark side lately?
(pgAdmin does this..)

> Sorry it's not a bug. However I wonder if it might be a good idea if
> psql would raise a warning after logon that a pgpass.conf file was used
> for authentication or have it written to the log. I am sure some 3rd
> party application I was testing created the file when it took my server
> login information. I would have found out about it right away if it's
> use would have been written to the log.

psql can't do this, really, because that part happens entirely in libpq.
We'd need extra API for this. IIRC, I suggested this before, but I can't
remember what the result with. Running out of batteries ATM, so no time
to look it up in the archives ;-)

//Magnus