Re: libpq-fe: PQgetvalue() ?

From: Danny Milosavljevic <danny(dot)milosavljevic(at)fabalabs(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq-fe: PQgetvalue() ?
Date: 2006-11-23 11:29:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'm replying to a thread that is two years old (
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2004-10/msg00099.php
), but:

>Tom Lane wrote at Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:21:29 -0400:
>>Christoph Haller <ch ( at ) rodos ( dot ) fzk ( dot ) de> writes:
>> You cannot PQclear(pgresult_varible) while cstring_varible is in use.
>> You do not need to free cstring_variable, PQclear(pgresult_varible)
will do.
>> I personally prefer to allocate local memory, "strcpy" PQgetvalue,
>> and then PQclear. But that's a matter of taste, I suppose.

>That is surely overkill.

>PQgetvalue doesn't allocate new memory for its result. The docs are
>reasonably clear, I thought:

> The pointer returned by PQgetvalue points to storage that is part
> of the PGresult structure. One should not modify the data it points
> to, and one must explicitly copy the data into other storage if it
> is to be used past the lifetime of the PGresult structure itself.
>
> regards, tom lane

Shouldn't the return type of "PQgetvalue" be "const char*", then?

Maybe its just me...

regards,
Danny Milosavljevic

Attachment Content-Type Size
danny.milosavljevic.vcf text/x-vcard 257 bytes