Custom Data Type Question

From: Greg Mitchell <gmitchell(at)atdesk(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Custom Data Type Question
Date: 2006-11-15 21:18:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm trying to create a custom data type similar to an enumeration type.
However, I'd like the mapping of the int<->string to be dynamic instead
of hard coded. I'd like to have a table that contains this mapping that
can be appended to. Creating this type is not very difficult. However,
for performance reasons, I'd like to cache the mapping so that the table
is only queried once every connection unless it changes. I'm thinking a
combination of a flag that can be triggered on insert and a transaction
id could be used to decide if the table needs to be reloaded.
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how to get started on this, any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg