Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-15 19:45:48
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Hmmm. Interesting. Does anyone else have details or an opinion on
> this? The fact that there is something sitting above the servers
> seems to be the defining issue of calling it query broadcast.

Well, clustering is just a general term for putting several things, say,
computers, together to a common cause. If you cluster a database
system, you need some way to distribute the incoming requests across
the machines, which you can either do on the network layer or on the
application layer. Sequoia does the latter. But I don't see
any "broadcasting" in there as a defining quality.

--
Peter Eisentraut