Re: 8.2 Beta 3 Now Available for Download / Testing ...

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 Beta 3 Now Available for Download / Testing ...
Date: 2006-11-09 14:11:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>>

>>> As a result of there being two *known* outstanding bugs, we have
>>> just bundled up a Beta3, to allow for testing of the recent patch
>>> concerning WAL replay ...
>>>
>> What are the bugs?
>
> AFAIK:
>
> 1. Tuple freezing and hint bits were not WAL-logged, which could lead
> to data corruption if database crashed after VACUUM. See recent thread
> titled "WAL logging freezing".
>
> 2. B-tree page deletion bug, which could lead to VACUUM erroring with
> "failed to re-find parent key" message. See thread "Nasty btree
> deletion bug":
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-10/msg01373.php

I assume that we also want to fix the plperl/plperlu interaction issue,
especially as it will result in changed behaviour on some platforms, at
least.

I have asked a couple of people to look over and test the patch I posted
on Sunday, but i have not had any reaction so far and feel slightly
nervous about applying it. I will make some time to do more testing
myself this weekend.

cheers

andrew