Re: jdbc driver performance TODO

From: Julien Patrouix <jpatroui(at)genoscope(dot)cns(dot)fr>
To: Bucky Jordan <bjordan(at)lumeta(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc driver performance TODO
Date: 2006-10-28 11:17:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

In my opinion, improvements could be made in the encoding/decoding of
the protocole messages (Ie the PGStream class).
From what I have seen thanks to a profiler some methods are over
invoked, and the numeric encoding is not as efficient as it could be.
That numeric encoding/decoding is used very often, even for the
protocole purposes, not only for data encoding.

Furthermore, it would be interesting not to use the java BufferedStream
implementation, and use a specific one so as to directly manage and
access the buffer.

From the driver point of view, this is the core part to optimize since
everything starts or goes from/through this part (the protocole encoding).

I use a driver I have optimized, and submitted these obervations a
couple of time to the list, but I'm really sorry I can't contribute more
for a long time I'm afraid
Nevertheless, anyone that would look into these parts of the code could
make that optimisations again as they are quite simple to achieve.

Regards.